Estimation of Travel Time Losses on Trajectories
How much congestion does a commuter encounter?
In this study, we calculated travel time losses on certain trajectories by motorway between cities in Belgium. We based our results on traffic information stemming from single loop detectors embedded in the road’s concrete. The trajectories we studied were:
- Brussels – Charleroi,
- Brussels – Ostend,
- Brussels – Ghent,
- Brussels – Antwerp,
- Brussels – Leuven,
- and Ghent – Antwerp.
All travel times were measured on the motorway network; the total travel time that a commuter experiences is therefore longer as part of the home-work commute are done via the secondary and smaller road networks. The trajectories mostly start and end at ring roads; this implies that the R0 around Brussels, the R1 around Antwerp and the R4 around Ghent are not considered.
We then used these travel time losses to examine the effects on someone's 35-year career: What is the average time that someone spends commuting between home and work, and how much congestion does he/she encounter?
It appears that people who live in Leuven and work in Brussels are the worst off: they spend up to 45% of their commute time in congestion. Of the other people that work in Brussels, those who live in Antwerp spend around 33% of their commute time in congestion, followed by approximately 25% for those who live in Ghent or Charleroi.
Percentage total travel time loss during 35 year of commuting
The report (Dutch only) can be downloaded here.
articles & presentations
- February 3, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave a presentation 'Schatting verliestijden op trajecten' for Bruno De Lille, kabinet Mobiliteit (in Dutch)
- January 31, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave an interview for Metro about "300 jours dans les embouteillages" (figures are cited wrong, correction: "160 jours dans les embouteillages").
- January 31, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave an interview for Radio 1 Vandaag about "Verkeersellende op een gemiddelde carrière"
- January 31, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave an interview for Radio Nostalgie De Funky Roadshow about "Tijdens je loopbaan in de file staan"
- January 31, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave an interview for the VRT News about "Een jaar in de file" (figures are cited wrong, correction: "Een half jaar in de file")
- January 31, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave an interview for Het Laatste Nieuws and De Morgen about "Pendelaar staat tijdens carrière 4000 uur stil in de file"
- January 31, 2011, Sven Maerivoet gave an interview for Het Nieuwsblad and De Standaard about "Pendelaar staat tijdens carrière tot 300 dagen in file" (figures are cited wrong, correction: "Pendelaar staat tijdens carrière tot 160 dagen in de file")
- January 31, 2011, Lars Akkermans gave an interview for the RTBF (Vivacité) radio, émission “c’est vous qui le dites”, about time lost in congestion throughout a 35-year career
- January 15, 2011, Sven Maerivoet, coverstory in Vacature: 'Uw carrière in de file'
+32 16 31.77.33